Thursday, September 16, 2010

job hunting blues

I had another job interview yesterday. God, it's hard on a body to get psyched up, feel butterflies in the stomach 24 hours beforehand, in the interview, and afterward wanting to hurl those beauties out.

The nerves just absolutely take me over and I have an out of body experience when I am in the interview. Sometimes I say things I shouldn't and think "This is such an artificial process why not let them see the real me flaws and all (I don't usually get those jobs)."

Interviews are funny things. It's like I put on my gold lame tap shoes and do the little dance of me in front of a deadpan audience and then exit the stage to no applause or booing - just unemotional, unblinking stares from strangers who are viewing and judging every move I make.

After they interview me, I always wish that I could grill them. Ask them, "Why should I work for you? What do you have to offer me? What qualifies you to judge me on a one hour interview and a few words on paper?" Make them do the dance of their lives.

F.

I feel so lost and directionless when it comes to my future professional career. I was driving home from dropping the kids off at school and the thought came to me that maybe I should do something completely different like train to work at an old folks home. Something about honouring those that came before. I feel out of touch with that generation. Maybe changing their poopie diapers would help me achieve that...see? I am crazy now. It's official.

No comments: