Tuesday, August 26, 2008

As subtle as a bunny fart

We got new neighbours at the beginning of the summer. There is one house in between ours.

Turns out they are musicians - 20 something free spirits. Admittedly, their music is great. Some real talent over the fence which I enjoy listening to through the open window or when I am outside.

Unfortunately, these dudes and dudettes don't seem to get that they are surrounded by other people who get up early to go to work. Who go to bed at a reasonable hour. Who have small children who also need LOTS of sleep to quell the demons inside.

Dudes and dudettes like to play the banjo and guitar and sing outside until all hours of the night and morning, with amplifiers turned up, banging on loud African drums.

L has been over a few times to tell them to keep it down. And they quit when she does. But it doesn't stop them from doing it again and again.

Hello? You are not in the woods!

So the other night it is way past 10 p.m. and they are singing away into the night. L says go over and tell them to quiet down. Me being me I step out onto the back stoop, cup my hands around my mouth and yell, "Okay! Time to cut the music. People are trying to sleep!!"

Immediate silence ensues.

I go back into the house triumphantly clutching my bathrobe around me. L looks at me and says, "That was a bit White Trash, don't you think?"

Perhaps, but I prefer to call it German efficiency.

Maybe next time I will send my grumpy, sleep-deprived kids over at
6 a.m. to ask from drumming lessons.

No comments: